The All Comers Bible Class meets twice a year in the winter/spring at the first of the year, and again later in the fall. The winter/spring session will go from mid-February until early May. The second session runs from September until the week before Thanksgiving. The class meets on Tuesdays from 10:00-11:00 AM. Many years ago it began as a ladies Bible class, but evolved into an all comers class.
In years past I have taught the class myself, and shared teaching responsibilities with co-workers and others interested in taking a part in teaching. This year I returned to teaching the class myself. Wayne Brewer taught the class in my absence on September 30th. Our attendance has been good for the fall session, running from 18-23.
The class this session was “Studies in Matthew,” where I took passages of my choosing and examined them in detail. These classes were what might be called in-depth Bible studies. The passages I selected for study were what I considered to be difficult passages, which hopefully added to the interest in the studies. Outlines of these lessons were presented to each member of the class at the start of each session. The line-up of classes included the following subject matter:
- September 9th: What did Jesus mean when he said, “Swear not at all”? (Matt. 5:33-37)
- September 16th: What did Jesus mean when he said, “Therefore, you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect”? (Matt. 5:48)
- September 23rd: What did Jesus mean when he said, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead”? (Matt. 8:22)
- September 30th: Did Jesus teach the doctrine of “Soul Sleeping”? (Matt. 9:24)
- October 7th: What is the “Unforgivable sin”? (Matt. 12:32)
- October 14th: What did Jesus mean when he said, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there in the midst of them”? (Matt. 18:20)
- October 21st: The Olivet Discourse – Part 1 (Matt. 24:1-28)
- October 28th: The Olivet Discourse – Part 2 (Matt. 24:29-51)
- November 4th: The Parable of the Ten Virgins (Matt. 25:1-13)
- November 11th: The Parable of the Talents (Matt. 25:14-30)
- November 18th: Did Jesus describe the final judgment scene? (Matt. 25:31-46)
The All Comers Bible class has its own special appeal in that it is a closely knit group of people who come together with a common interest in learning the Scriptures. The same might be said for any class, I suppose, but the closeness of this group seems to make it comfortable for more people to ask questions and make comments at their discretion. These things work together to make the All Comers Bible class a truly enriching experience in the lives of all who are present. If you have not attended this class before, I would like to encourage you to give it a try. It is one hour that will make a real difference, not only in your day, but also your life.
This class will resume on Tuesday, February 10, 2015. At present I am thinking of continuing our studies in the same vein of difficult passages in the book of Mark, and maybe even beyond that into other books. I will decide between now and then what I will do, but until then, I hope you can join us the next time around.
by Dennis Gulledge